Surgery and Anesthesia
We understand that surgery is a stressful time for pets as well as their owners. We attempt to do everything possible to make the event as comfortable, safe and convenient for everyone involved. We perform scheduled surgeries Monday through Friday and when emergencies arise, we fit them into our schedule whenever necessary. We have learned that our clients prefer the comfort of a private veterinary practice versus a large specialty hospital or intimidating veterinary teaching hospital, so we try to do as much on site as possible.Our state-of-the-art surgical suite provides for the performance of a wide variety of surgical procedures. Of course, there are occasions that ultimately do call for a referral to MedVet Medical Center for Pets or The OSU Veterinary Hospital.
Most of our routine surgical procedures go home the same day so they can recover in the comfort of their own home. If your pet requires an extra day in our hospital or even several days of hospitalization, we make every attempt to keep them as comfortable as possible. We provide lots of comfortable bedding that gets changed as frequently as needed when accidents happen. Your dog will get several potty breaks throughout the day and even kitties get to spend time out of their cages to stretch their legs. If your pet will be on I.V. fluids for the duration of their visit we simply follow them around with the bag during their exercise break. Occasionally owners like to visit their pets in the hospital. If your pet will be hospitalized for several days we encourage owners to visit; if it will only be one day sometimes your visit can actually make things more stressful for your pet. Not to worry though, if your pet desires affection, he will receive plenty.
Olive's Journey with Bladder Stones
Olive is a four-year old, long haired Miniature Dachshund. Olive began straining to urinate and was diagnosed with 6 large bladder stones. This case study will take you through Olive's journey from pre-diagnosis through surgery and into recovery, including Olive's owners experience with Pet Insurance.
- We will perform most all soft tissue surgeries on-site
- We will perform some orthopedic procedures (some ACL repairs and some fracture repairs) on-site. For all other orthopedic procedures we will refer you and your pet to either MedVet or OSU
- All patients aged seven years or older will receive pre-operative blood screening and I.V. fluid therapy.
- Pre and post operative pain management is provided
- We use the safest and most up to date injectable and inhalant anesthetics available. Anesthetic protocols will be tailored to your pet to ensure safety, especially in our older and high risk patients.
- All patients are carefully monitored by our highly trained technical staff through the use of pulse oximetry and when the occasion calls for it, doppler blood pressure monitoring.
- Each patients body temperature will be maintained by using all or a combination of the following: Bair Hugger patient warming blanket, a circulating warm water heating pad, and for extensive anesthetic/surgical procedures a Hot Line I.V. warming system.